We are pleased to announce the fourth edition of CONNECT!, the annual Codarts Research Festival. This entertaining and informative event will take place on Thursday 14 March 2019 at Codarts Rotterdam. A Research Study Day especially for teachers, coaches and staff will take place on Wednesday 13 March.
Research Festival | Thursday 14 March
The festival opens with a keynote speech from Dr. Monica Esslin-Peard of the University of Liverpool. She will speak about the role of self-reflection in artistic research. The programme will feature:
- Expert Talks | Leading researchers will talk about recent research in their discipline: dance (Vicky Fischer MA), music/dance therapy (Dr. Ditty Dokter), classical music (Job ter Haar, PhD candidate), pop music (Julian Schaap, PhD candidate) and education (Dr. Thomas De Baets).
- Play & Present | Entertaining and informative research-based performances from the fields of music, dance, circus, arts therapies and arts education, given by distinguished Codarts students.
- Research Competition | Selected Codarts Master students Perform & Present their research before a jury and compete for the first prize of € 500 and second prize of € 250. Winning Master of Music students are eligible to participate in the national Master of Music research competition on 16 May 2019 at Fontys, Tilburg.
- Jazz & Research | A special afternoon programme in the WMDC sheds light on research in jazz-improvisation. Keynote speaker is jazz pianist Tony Roe, who also closes the festival with his band Tin Men & the Telephone.
- Pitch your Proposal | A team of Codarts coaches en professors gives feedback to aspiring researchers, who want to submit a research proposal at the Codarts Research Fund.
- Guided Research Tour | Visit a number of presentations in a small group with a research guide, share your experience and discuss the relevance for your own research at Codarts.
NB: Admission is free. You can apply for lunch and/or drinks by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (Annemiek Manni).
Research Study Day | Wednesday 13 March
Research is of great importance for conservatoires nowadays. This study day is intended to connect Codarts teachers, coaches and staff, to share and exchange knowledge and experience, with the aim to continue to occupy an important place in the (inter)national field of artistic research. At the end of this day you will be informed about how we do research at Codarts, and you will be inspired to further develop the research curriculum within your own department.
- Pitches | Research coordinators present the research learning-teaching trajectories within their department.
- Keynote | Dr. Thomas De Baets (LUCA School of Arts, Leuven) will talk about over learning-teaching trajectories from intuitive reflection to practice-based research.
- Student panel | Music and dance students will share their research experiences, and how their research contributed to their development from ‘Talent to Artist.’
- Share & Exchange | Reflection by the participants in transdisciplinary groups.
Note: Codarts teachers, coaches and staff can apply by sending an email to email@example.com (Annemiek Manni).
CONNECT! is a platform for inspiration that stimulates creativity, formulates new ideas and allows for artistic and academic collaboration. We are looking forward to meeting you in Rotterdam.
The organizing team
Dr. Henrice Vonck, Annemiek Manni